The Auster Mk9 started to replace the Auster Mk6 in 1956 and continued in service for a further ten years during which time the AOP Squadrons had helped form the Army Air Corps. The Army Historic Aircraft Flight (AHAF) maintained XR244, which was built at Rearsby in 1961. She remained at Middle Wallop for all of her operational life in the training role.
In her final years she was used to train pilots in the art of Forward Air Controlling and other fixed wing flying training in readiness for the introduction of the Beaver. XR244 officially transferred to the AHAF on 11 September 1981 and subsequently handed over to the Historic Aircraft Flight Trust on 1 February 2015, where she was registered with the civilian register as G-CICR.
The first operational Royal Air Force (RAF) Air Observation Post (AOP) Squadron, 651 (AOP) Sqn RAF formed up on 1 August 1941 at RAF Old Sarum and was initially equipped with the original Taylorcraft/Auster Mk1. These aircraft were soon replaced by the Auster Mk3 which possessed much improved rear vision and overall performance. In 1944-45 the Auster Mk3 was replaced by the Auster Mk4 and Mk5, both of which were fitted with the American Lycoming engine. After the war most AOP Squadrons were disbanded and those remaining were re-equipped with Auster Mk6 as the main AOP aircraft and the Auster Mk7 as the training equivalent.
The Auster Mk9 started to replace the Auster Mk6 in 1956 and continued in service for a further ten years during which time the AOP Squadrons had been absorbed into the Army Air Corps.