On 1st February 2015 the aircraft of the Army Historic Aircraft Flight (AHAF) were formally transfered to the Historic Aircraft Flight Trust. They remain at their current location at the Army Aviation Centre, Middle Wallop, Hampshire.
Four of the aircraft are registered with the civil register:
Auster AOP Mk9 – XR244 (G-CICR)
De Havilland Beaver AL Mk1 – XP820 (G-CICP)
Agusta-Bell Sioux AH Mk1 – XT131 (G-CICN)
Westland Scout AH Mk1 – XT626 (G-CIBW)
The Historic Aircraft Flight also includes several non-flying aircraft amongst which are the following notable aircraft:
De Havilland Chipmunk T10 WD325 (delivered to Middle Wallop in 1953 this aircraft has trained hundreds of Army Corps Pilots)
Saunders Roe Skeeter AOP Mk12 – XL812 (G-SARO) (The Armys first operational helicopter contributing to a fleet total of 80,000 hours)
De Havilland Tiger Moth D1182A – EM840 (G-ANBY) (A 1943 EFTS aircraft used to train glider pilots during the second WW prior to Normandy and Arnhem. The GPR was an antecedent regiment forming the AAC.
The AHAF badge was designed in 2004 by Major Kitson with the assistance of the Graphics Officer at Middle Wallop. lt features the battle Goddess Morrigan. She was chosen because she is represented by a crow, of which there are plentiful at Middle Wallop and ‘she hovers over the battlefield’. Her name translates as ‘Great Queen’ and these aircraft are truly Queen’s of the skies. The motto “Ne Transit lllorum Gloria” translates as “Let Their Glory Not Fade”. The AHAF is, at the time of printing, the only Army Flying Display Team.
To ensure the aircraft remain airworthy and available the AHAF relies on the goodwill of serving and former AAC pilots, maintainers and generous donations from members of the public.